The plot of our office has an interesting history. It was occupied as a hospital, dedicated to St. John the Baptist. Then it became a House of Correction (see below).
By 1899 the prison was in disuse, and was demolished. In its place was built the Central Market and Palais De Dance (now known as Pryzm), with King Edward Street in between (see below). In the 1970s, the Central Market moved to become the indoor market in the Victoria Centre. St. Modwen redeveloped the site and it became King Edward’s Court. We daily pass the foundation stone, laid in 1984.